Saturday, April 11, 2015

White outrage over Walter Scott doesn't fix black fear of living in racist America | Steven W Thrasher | Comment is free | The Guardian

STEVEN W. THRASHER  HAS WRITTEN A PROFOUND INSIGHT INTO HOW RACISM WORKS I read this profound articulation of the internalized power of racism as inflicted on a human being by another human being either individually or collectively. It made me reflect in a very personal way how not to distance myself from the other and to commit to individual and collective action to combat racism and racial violence. It made me realize that empathy and compassion are necessary in the fight against racism, but I will never know what it is like to be a  black person dealing with the ordinary daily practice of racism and the impact it has on all people particularly our young  women and men of color that starts in children . A first step is to find in  my life those circumstances that resonate  my difference and the consequences of someone else's  almost irrational judgement expressed by both dismissal and powerful yet ordinary behavior , For me it is called homophobia despite what I am told about the incredible progress since that day in 1969 when lesbian and gay people in New York City  found inside themselves the courage to rise up and threw off the psychic restrains and emotions that homophobia subtle or brutal practices. The essential need  to heal oneself and fight back. Black Lives Matter has deeper meaning when I locate inside of me that which seeks from outside and yes inside the chockhole of homophobia to limit and or frighten me and my imagination , creativity and sometimes simple survival .  PLEASE READ < THINK ABOUT WHAT THRASHER IS SAYING AND SHARE



White outrage over Walter Scott doesn't fix black fear of living in racist America | Steven W Thrasher | Comment is free | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment