Saturday, June 15, 2019

GOOD NEWS in a dangerous time .. LOVE is essential in making Change

On June 23  2019 Joel Handorff and I will be married/ (Yes on my my birthday ) 

I have held off on making this announcement until we got the permit for use of the Park. It is small and it will be open to the public,,but we have the right to marry  in it.. rain or shine.


We choose this small park because on Christopher Street where,  in 1969,  a rebellion took place to reject internalized homophobia and fight for full personhood and full equality in our work life and our personal lives  and the lives of all oppressed people.


Most of you know I consider the Stonewall Inn a symbol of our oppression and Christopher Street in front of the Inn a symbol of liberation 


 I was there that first night and the following nights. What happened changed my life forever,  I decided to dedicate my life to making a safe place for lesbians and gay men of all gender expression.by changing culture,


Yet,  these are very dangerous times today,


The recent violent attack by neo- nazis on participants in the Detroit Pride March and the the disruption of the DC parade by a man waving a gun and muttering homophonic noise are but two of the incidents we know about encouraged by the rhetoric of the Trump administration


Be careful as you celebrate our victories over the last 50 years, There is still much work to be done all over the world.


Here in the US, Choice is under attack, The right for women to be able to  control their own bodies may be lost. 


This I believe is also an attack on the LGBT community and our right to control our own bodies.  I fear marriage equality will be next. 


While I never thought.marriage was important, I have come to believe that same sex civil marriage is the most important victory we have achieved.  (Marriage Equality)  We,  as a community,  along with allies defeated religious institutions who have been the bedrock of aggressive homophobia. 


I quite unexpectedly fell in love with Joel an artist and a teacher who is age appropriate. He asked me to marry him and I let love and erotic desire center me in my heart and not my head.


 Amazingly, I  answered "Yes"!


I realized for me that love is a political act ..(thank you Che.) I want to say to all of the women and men who survived the AIDS plague: Don't give up on the possibility that  this can happen to you too. Sure at my age the reasons may be different but sexual intimacy is still alive and important  for both of us,


We will be married in a same sex civil marriage ceremony by Penny Arcade  at  the Stonewall Monument at 1:30,


There will be a reception at Pangea from 3-5, Cash bar (Happy Hour prices,, and food will be available)  Some Macros (Joe Rudick, Richard Dworkin and Dave Hofstra) will be making sounds and perhaps a friend or two may sing or read .



If you need more information contact me privately. Also,  we could use some help on the 23rd 

Oh! Joel is an artist and has a solo.show up until July 18 at the Ivy Brown Gallery 675 Hudson,  4th floor at 14 St in the Meat Market. Each Sat he will be sitting in the gallery sketching people. So please come and meet him and look at his current work: BLOSSOMS , Magic Mirror!


Here is Joel with Ivy Brown at her Gallery where solo show is taking place 




4 comments:

  1. I know we have a lot of competition—not sure how many are allowed ; ), but Dirk and I want to be bridesmaids at your wedding.
    Much love to you and Joel! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GREAT BEAUTIFUL COUPLE THEY ARE...MAB!

    ReplyDelete