Saturday, November 19, 2016

AS I PREPARE TO TAKE TO THE STREETS AGAIN IN AN ANTI-STEVE BANNON DENO: I TURN TO RICHARD "DR LOVE" VAZQUEZ NEW INTERNET MIX: " A GARAGE HOMAGE MIX (ALL VINYL) TO GET MY BODY IN THE STREET MOOD



Dr Love's Garage Mix ..all vinyl JUST DO IT 

Death has rained on my parade with a fierceness of a tropical storm in  rage mood. Leonard, Cohen,  Sharon  Jones, are two public names but then there are the personal and private friends and "enemies " that leaped on the Bardo train and left me and you standing here godsmacked with loss.  David Mancuso was a giant among dj's all around the world and here at home.  To be let into his private party in the early '70 at his LOFT space was to step into a mostly black,  gay safe space to dance your "tits"  off. It was for me the first time I entered a non-white dominated dance space and found a freedom to feel as one with people in my tribe  I rarely saw let alone interacted with ..David Mancuso's  LOFT and his mastery of the vinyl "come together beat "was a critical part of my political understanding of community and the role race plays in America. It was a glorious time and slowly emerged in other places as the decade move on,  Nicky Siano's Gallery,  the Garage, the Saint, Studio 54 where the same core mix of people were seduced and body pleasred  by the sonic mixing of emerging generation of post Mancuso and Nicky Siano dj's and their driving force of the wheels of steel. I think of Larry Levant, Sharon White , Frankie Knuckles , Ron Hardy  and yes my Danceteria DJ Mark Kamins ,,  later Carl Cox and the Detroit spinners. Mancuso continued to have his LOFT parties all over the world and that an invitation to come hear him play at a private event spread from NYC to London , Singapore, etc. One DJ still alive and still mixing who  was present through all these decades of the masters of mix . He is Richard "Doctor Love" Vasquez  alive and still spinning on a regular basis in Miami ... I am helping put out his mixes into the world .. here is a most recent Vasquez mixtape spinning a tribute to the Garage magic of Larry Levant.  I played it  this morning to get my body ready to take the streets for an anti-Steve Bannon  street demonstration.. try it . ..Thanks Doctor Love

here is an anterview with Dr.Love made a few years ago





No comments:

Post a Comment