Friday, November 25, 2016

Most people know Eszter Balint from Jim Jarmusch indie film classic Strangers in Paradise   or from SQUAT the radical theater company that relocated to NYC from Hungary in the '80's,  That is  where I first saw her at age 15 in their space on 23rd Street. She and her son live in my neighborhood and I would run into her and Nora Burns in the afternoon when they were picking up their kids from PS 3 on Hudson. Over the years I would see her perform with one of my favorite musicians Chris Cochrane,   In these years I believe she put being a single mom and raising a kid first .. but in the last two years she has stepped forward again recording and playing live .. WOW...  I saw her playing strings with Tammy Faye, Stew and Heidi as well as a couple of weeks ago at a fantastic Adele Berti  show at Poisson Rouge .  Stephen Shanaghan at Pangea gave her a slot over the summer for her own show and  the buzz was on ,,, She returns with Stew as a guest September 30 at 7 at Pangea .. Be there, I will .

Here is a  terrific WNYC Soundcheck interview with music that will bring you up to date as well as a music video from last year..

SOUNDCHECK interview with Eszter













Music video 

No comments:

Post a Comment