Monday, March 5, 2018

Memories of 26v Bond St. my loff and .jackie Curtis, and a community of now recognizable namess

History Alert: Bond Street  where East met West  a memory from my life



26 Bond Street ..where I lived 1966-69. 2 floors, garden with trees, french windows, marble fireplaces. $200 a month. Where the Underground Press Syndicate was housed for a year, where the Communications Company/NYC was published. Where I hosted a LSD bad trip rescue mission, where I lived with lovers Howard Weinstein  (RIP) painter,(blue-eyed, black curly haired Jewish angel,his sister was Marcia Weinstein aka later Annie Flanders founder of DETAILS magazine) 








followed by Robert McLane,  (RIP AIDS)  Broadway actor . 
Jim Fouratt and Robert McClane (aka Robert Joel) (cc)  Diane Dadornik 

R0 bert had appeared on Broadway and was the lead in A Very Natural Thing  (first gay narrative film to be reviewed by NYT
NY TIMES REVIEW )   We met one afternoon in the Egyptology room of the Met Museum. He did not knwo who I was publicly nor did I know about his professional career .we just clicked .Later we moved to Hollywood ,lived at the legendary Fontenoy   on Whitley. And later we moved to the Yamashiro apartments . By them I had a Bassett hound named Sabastian.

26 . Bibd Stree : Where Yippie Meetings were held. Where I asked David Hockney to leave a party because the mother of the 15-year-old beauty who he was hitting on complained .. I spoke to David twice and finally had to ask him to go ..he did. Where Jackie Curtis brought a blond boy from Long Island on his first night in NYC, Introing Jimmy to me saying " Meet Candy Darling." I just gave him a new name. I want him to know where to come if he gets in trouble..that your loft is a safe space." Where Abby Hoffman and Robin Morgan broke in and stole the Village Voice Gestetner Mineo machine that Howard Smith had donated to me so I could publish the Communication Company/NYC..Stolen because Allan Ginsberg and I had raised questions about how Chicago Democratic Convention response was being organized.Where Diane Arbus lugged a HUGE camera in one day to do a shoot ..and when our eyes locked we both recognized we had a very intimate secret, Where my down-the-street neighbor Sam Wagstaff and I used to sit in my garden and discussed art, photography, and boys before he went to Detroit and Harford museums positions. When Sam's mother finally died, he came into the family fortune. Robert M. cashed in and took him to the dark side. Where L.M.Kit Carson shot the first footage of his unfinished film "Pyote Starlight " with Jim McBride directing me playing me. Where Kit brought Edie Sedgwick when she was escaping Bob Neuwirth and needed a place to hid. Kit and she were having an affair. She left her makeup kit when she and Kit moved, . It was full of expensive tools that created the cinematic Edie look. They stayed about two months. Where "Wisdom and Folly" a hippie fashion collective of three gay male designers from LA camped out and created hand made clothes  One day Jimi Hendrix  was visiting me and I introduced him to the "Wisdom and Folly" boys . They made him the clothes he wore when he performed  at Woodstock  I had a brief affair with Denins the full blooded Native  American folly member. He was beautiful, gentle and left a stain on my heart still there. All three died of AIDS in LA.  Where the Process (the extreme arm of Scientology placed two designer dressed (grey uniforms)  outside the entrance to 26 Bond St daily for 6 months trying to recruit me They also had a beatiful Great Dane with them ,,He was grey also....(the Process had "converted" Charlie Manson) Many many more memories to follow from the place Joe Ragone had rented to me with a ten-year lease. .. when I left over a broken heart (imagine) I turned it over to Brice Marden, painter and than Robert Rauschenberg assistant and his gorgeous wife Helen beauties who were neither famous nor rich yet,,, just talented. beauties.

The Vilalge was different back then.

It was a different village then ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment