Sunday, May 17, 2015

CLINT BORZONI has put GAVIN DILLAR's erotic poety to music and is workshoppiing the Opera with OPERAMISSION

It was raining and I was waiting at the corner of 7th Ave and Bleecker St for the light to change. A voice called out: "Jim ." I turned around to see who was calling me and I saw running towards me the very blond Nora Burns with a large, open umbrella in her hand. Nora had lived on the floor below me in the same building I still lived in. She lived with David, a very beautiful young gay man. He died like so many did then so young here in NYC of AIDS . She moved and we would run across each other every so often. Nora is part of Unitards , a stand up comedy sketch threesome (Mike Albo, Nora Burns, and David Ilku ) who are consistently more funny than any SNL evening . We caught up as she kindly went out of her way and walked me home umbrella in hand. Nora asked " Do you know the naked poet?" I said " you mean Gavin Dillard?"."yes" she answered. I thought of course I remember Gavin ;; first in hippie San Francisco and later in LA when he was running with the David Geffen set .. and last I saw him was at a radical Faery  gathering in the Malibu Mountains..... I asked, "Is he still alive?: Nora answered "Very. I just got a text from him telling me that an opera based on his erotic poems is being workshopped in NYC and it is listed in the New Yorker "Goings On." "Alive, great. " I said. and here is when and where .. it is a night of work hosted by OPERAMISSION of composer Clint Borzoni  new compositions.  The evening compositions will fall under the title To Lie with Him An opera for two baritones, two male dancers, string quartet, percussion, poems by Gavin Geoffrey Dillard –  Baritones Grant Youngblood and Michael Weyandt will sing the first three of five ‘exchanges’  of the libretto by  John de los Santos . Clint Borzoni  composed When Adonis Calls with the full ensemble, open to the public, paired with the world premiere of his song cycle for countertenor Daniel Bubeck EARTH, My Likeness  with poems by Walt Whitman, Constantine Cavafy and May Swenson set to music.   See you there?

When Adonis Calls. A new opera by Clint Borzoni, from the poems of Gavin Geoffrey Dillard and adapted for the stage by John de los Santos.


and click and learn more :
http://operamission.org/2015/04/21/to-lie-with-him/

No comments:

Post a Comment