Wednesday, March 15, 2017

ALERT: Correcting FAKE CLUB HISTORY: HURRAH

ALERT: Correcting FAKE CLUB HISTORY: HURRAH: a recent post about the first club I made into a success by mixing high art and low art (pop culture) booking live music and hiring the two best DJs spinning at that time. the club was Hurrah ..Someone sent me a copy of a post of Bill Bernstein that repeats the fake history of Hurrah that one self-aggrandizing DJ has spread all over the internet. Here is how I responded:
Bill .. Here is the real history of Hurrah, not some fabrication by a self-aggrandizing DJ
1: Arthur Weinstein was not the owner of Hurrah. He was hired by Barbara Lackey and Robert Boykin to bring people to the club. B&R were the "public" owners of Hurrah. Prior to Studio 54 opening Hurrah was THE beautiful people hang. Arthur stole the highly prized private membership list and sold it to two men from Long Island named Steve and Ian. Arthur was one of the most vivid characters that I ever encountered in nightlife .. I always considered him and his wife, DymonCollen who was decorator royalty, remained my good friends regardless of the drama of nightlife. In a very strange contemporary way, Arthur was a Damon Runyon character and a loyal friend even if he was in the artful business of betrayal
2: Jane Friedman and Henry Schiller were hired to reinvent the club by B&L and they were responsible for bringing in Neon Women and Jeff Brown a Saint like DJ and a "special" friend of Boykin attempted to keep the Neon Women audience from leaving. He didn't. Next, Jane and Robert brought in WNEW DJ Meg Griffin to play rock record for people ot dance to .... But as soon as Tom Eyen's NEON WOMAN on Woman behind Bars was over people just left and went to Studio Jane and Robert vision failed, I have always had a particular affection for Jane. Today she is responsible for the HOWL gallery and performance space.
3: B&R became desperate. A friend, the Village Voice's Jackie Rudin intro's me to B&R one night saying "Jim will know what to do to make this place hot again." I negotiated terms the included showcasing live music, getting a live music sound system, replacement of the video monitors that were hung over the dance and acted more like ambient lighting, control of hiring of the staff and DJ's including door people and security, booking live music nd promoting at the club. I hired all most all new staff .. keeping Barney and Ron as night managers, I hired Ruth Polsky as my assistant and Mark Kamins and Sean Cassette as the DJs. All most all the bands you listed were booked by me. When I left I had the club booked for six months in advance. three months later I opened Danceteria on39th st, Most of the Hurrah staff left to join me including Mark and Sean and Houi Montage. Once Danceteria opened history repeated itself. Three months later Hurrah closed. When Sean and Mark left Bill Balhman may have worked as a DJ. I never hired him, He simply was not up to my standards. As to Sara, I did hire her as a substitute DJ. She was a woman with great ears. one person, I did not hire who started to work at Hurrah . was Merrill Aldighieri who began to conceptualize the use of video in clubland, She moved Club video DJing forward, I used my experience at Hurrah to build the Danceteria template . and there created the video lounge concept in nightlife.
Bill How could you get so many facts wrong? I guess you just used Bill's fabricated history of Hurrah that is the core of the so fake news Wikipedia listing for Hurrah .. Wiki and you fail to acknowledge my role .. fail to mention my work.

1 comment: